Community Meeting & Survey on School Calendar
We Need Your Feedback
Hello Phoenix Family,
We are seeking feedback from you about the 2020-21 school year calendar. Below is a link for a survey that we want families and faculty to fill out.
We will also have an online community meeting to review calendar options with our Phoenix family. The meeting will be Thursday, June 11 at 6 PM. Meeting information is at the bottom of this email.
This summer, all school systems must answer:
• What calendar will the district adopt? Most districts are considering two changes:
• Extending the school year by starting earlier and ending later. HISD is adding 10 days to the calendar for students (going from 172 to 182) and moving school earlier by 7 days and extending it by two weeks in June.
• Building in weeks during the year just-in-case there is a need to shut down due to COVID-19. In HISD’s case, they have added an additional full week off in October and another in February.
We do not know what attendance rules the state will put into place for next school year. They might allow families to attend schools, like A+UP, entirely online, if the family is concerned about COVID-19. We expect the state to authorize districts to use online learning if needed. Districts would need to prove their students are being served. A+UP has served kids as well as possible this spring. Only had one student was not engaged during remote learning this spring. We are confident that we will be able to serve all of our students next year, regardless of the setting.
For your review, we are attaching two calendars here:
There are other calendar options that are possible, including:
• Starting school earlier than planned, but not as early as HISD, who are planning to start Thursday, August 13. A+UP could start the following Monday, August 17. We would take those added 5 days and have a week of “Flood Days” added to the calendar. They would be scheduled as non-school days, but would be used as make-up days if any days were missed for COVID-19.
• Finding a unique solution not listed above.
At the end of the day, two things are true. One, we want to have as many days taught inside the school building as is safe for kids and faculty. Two, even if we have to close the building and go remote, the learning won’t stop at A+UP.
Nonetheless, we are a community school where parent voice matters greatly. Please fill out the survey by Thursday at noon, so that we hear your voice. If you can join us Thursday night, please do. We will record the meeting and post it to our website if you cannot make it.
Your child’s safety is our primary responsibility and we take that job seriously.
The survey asks you to indicate your preferences regarding:
• First Day of School
• Existence of Potential October Break
• Existence of Potential February Break
The last day of school will be determined by the choices made above.
All calendar options include the following required criteria:
• Meets state requirement of at least 75,600 minutes in the school year
• Meets district requirement of 190 contractual days for teachers
• Holidays on Labor Day (Sept. 7, 2020); Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January 18, 2021); Good Friday (April 2, 2021); and Memorial Day (May 31, 2021)
• Full Week Thanksgiving Break (Nov. 23-27, 2020)
• Two Week Winter Break (Dec. 21, 2020 - Jan 1, 2021)
• One Week Spring Break (March 15-19, 2021)
Please fill out the survey by Thursday, June 11 at noon.
Family Input Night - School Calendar - Zoom Call
Thursday June 11, 6 PM
Join Zoom Meeting by 6PM on Thursday
Meeting ID: 876 6525 7535
One tap mobile:
Call +13462487799,,87665257535#,,1#,770958# US (Houston)
Thank you in advance for your help.
Perseverance is working through challenges to achieve the goal.
To the A+UP Family Community, These past few months have been tough on kids and families. The end...
An emergency meeting of the Board of A+ Unlimited Potential will be held on June 18, 2020...
Parent Input on School Calendar Video of the Zoom Parent Meeting held on June 12, 2020. The...
An emergency meeting of the Board of A+ Unlimited Potential will be held on May 21, 2020 beginning...
Eighth Grade Recognition Night is always one of the greatest nights of the year for Phoenix...
A+UP Open House for Interested Families Dear Future Phoenix Families, You finally have a chance to...
Dear Phoenix Family, It's time to share your Phoenix pride with your community. Many kids across...
Dear Future Phoenix Families, I just want to send a reminder that we are hosting a session for you...
Family Night Info Presentation Video of the Zoom Family Meeting held on Thursday, April 24, 2020....
Dear Future Phoenix Families, We are excited that you have expressed an interest in attending A+UP...